Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Wonderful Wednesday? 03

 
In light of today's events, I hesitated posting this. What could be wonderful about arguably one of the most horrifying Wednesdays of the year? What began as an optimistic day spiraled into one filled with dread. Like thousands, millions, of people around the world, I found myself on the edge of my seat, following along with the US Election. Not quite believing what I was witnessing, I felt more agitated, more fearful, more filled with despair than I ever have before while reading live updates. It was so easy to succumb to despair.

I struggle between wanting to avoid the news entirely on my blog and feeling it's an obligation to follow along with current affairs. I wrote of my frustration in a previous post here. I feel things far too deeplyand  collapse under the weight of a world filled with so much hate. I want to be a part of a generation that changes and challenges that, but by god, sometimes it's a nightmare and I lose all hope.

But despite all this, what would life be if it weren't for hope? Sometimes the only things that keep me going are the little things I can be grateful for every single day. They may not solve the world's problems but at least they give me something to cling on to. In saying this, I acknowledge that I come from a background of privilege and I worry if these kinds of posts may seem 'airy fairy'. Posting what may seem as self-indulgent in light of recent events almost struck me as irreverent to the seriousness of what has just unfolded and what it means for the future. But this blog is, above all else, a positive outlet for me and these 'Wonderful Wednesday' posts in particular have really been helping me through some problems, fears and insecurities in my life, so I see no shame in reflecting on positivity. When the whole world seems to be going to shit, there are still wonderful people who exist, wonderful things to be grateful for and wonderful things to look forward to.

So without further ado, here are things I have been grateful for the past week.

Catch ups with wonderful people. Now that the university semester is winding down, I have been able to meet up with a couple of friends (in between their hectic study schedules). On Saturday, one of my closest friends and I had iced matcha to cool down on the very hot 37 degree day. I also met up for lunch with another close friend before she jets off to Taiwan today for a month. On Sunday, I briefly met up with a friend who I met in London. Our paths first crossed in June on the Oh Comely forest walk in Epping. I never would have thought that I'd make such a lovely friend that day who just so happened to be moving to Perth. What are the chances, right? Sometimes life is full of surprises.

Visits to galleries. I had quite the cultural fix over the past week, taking a trip to the Art Gallery of WA. I also squeezed in a visit to Fremantle Arts Centre and I was reminded how beautiful it really is. Formally an asylum, the place has quite a sad history, but it's nice that something so positive has come out of it today.

Passing my driving test! I am particularly over the moon about this one! I don't know about other countries, but the first (and most brutal) test that is required after the initial theory test to get a Learner license in Australia is the practical test. I had been putting off driving and going for my practical test for years; when everyone else got their licenses at around 17, I was still too afraid to even get into the drivers seat. Initially failing the practical test twice this year also didn't help with my nerves or confidence! I feel so proud that I have now not only passed the practical test, but I actually want to drive and no longer fear it. I still have to do 25 hours of supervised driving over the next six months before I can take the Hazard Perception test (and hopefully pass that to get my Ps), but I am so relieved to have the hardest hurdle over with.

Finding a street library in my neighborhood. I first came across the existence of Street Libraries over on my favourite website Khoollect. I wasn't aware of all that many in Perth and the closest Street Library was hardly all that nearby. You can hazard a guess, then, at my excitement upon discovering one in my very own neighborhood by chance after having to take a detour. I picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which I have been meaning to read forever and so far I'm enjoying it.

Image credit: kicks // lauren aquilina

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.