Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tiny tales from Paris #3: Montmartre

<<Être parisien ce n’est pas être né à Paris, c’est y renaître>>

"Being Parisien doesn't mean being born in Paris, it's being reborn there." Sacha Guitry

Catching up with friends over the past few weeks, I have been met with the same question numerous times: "How was your trip?". I always struggle to accurately describe my experiences in Paris. I usually resort to simply saying how enriching it was and that I am already planning my next trip. If I wasn't so fearful of sounding terribly pretentious though, I would probably respond to the question with the above quote. I really do feel like a part of me was reborn during my visit. I see the world with more inspired eyes. 

The summit of Montmartre in particular was a place I felt most at 'home', or where I can imagine living someday. It's a pipe dream, I know, but inevitable to think such things in a place that was once home to some of most distinguished artists such as Monet, Picasso, Van Gogh and Dali. Montmartre has so much character and soul. I visited three times while I was in Paris, all of which were rainy days, but not even the weather tainted its beauty, although it did prove a health hazard what with the steep and slippery cobblestone streets! Never one to be deterred, I was still able to see quite a lot of Montmartre asides from the stunning Sacré Cœur, including the restaurant pictured below, La Maison Rose, the market stall that featured in Amélie and metro station Abessess. If you ever find yourself in the 18th arrondissement, I recommend taking your time. Stroll the narrow streets, have your portrait sketched by a local street artist and delight in the simple pleasure of cracking a crème brûlée in a nearby cafe. C'est une belle vie after all.
Montmartre, restaurent Poulbot
Jenny J said...

Loving these posts. My sister and I did a little Amelie hunt when we went to Paris. You're really making me want to go back :) x

Carina Maree said...

Thank you Jenny! It was definitely quite an experience seeking out those spots. I could imagine, if only for a second, that I was Amelie :). xx

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.