Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Book Break | Florette by Anna Walker

 
When Mae's family moves to a new home, Mae wishes she could bring the garden with her. She'll miss the apple trees, the daffodils and the butterflies in the long, wavy grass. But there's no room for a garden in her new home...Or is there?

What caught my eye with this book was, of course, the stunning imagery that is nothing short of a work of art. Flipping through the pages, I wished I could be part of Mae's gentle world. But as I followed along with the story, expressed in few words, it hit me that there is a lot that can be learned from the little girl's mind. Despite moving to a city so strikingly different to her home, Mae's passion and creativity helps her to adjust and feel happy once again. From a tiny 'stalk of green', Mae cultivates her own garden from which she and her community can benefit; both through the environmental benefits it brings and the hope and friendships it fosters.

It's not often that I find myself reaching for children's books, but after reading Florette by Anna Walker, I think I may have to do so more often. I really appreciate the knack they have for addressing the simple things in life that make all the difference. With Florette, I was reminded that a dream is achievable if one has the resilience, conviction and imagination to see it through.

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.