Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Podcast Picks | Food, Travel and Art

So I realise that I am probably one of the last people to jump on the podcast bandwagon, but now that I'm on it, I don't know how I lived without it! I've found myself listening to a range of different podcasts over the last month, and said listening sessions have usually been accompanied by some kind of creative endeavor (painting, drawing or cooking). I find that it's such a productive way to wind down and can really lift your spirits. As my life kind of feels like it's in a limbo right now (shout out to post University life and job hunting!), I have naturally felt inclined to seek out podcasts of the inspiring and uplifting kind but at the same time, ones that encourage me to learn new skills or simply learn new things.

I thought I would share my top three Podcast Picks that I have been obsessed with lately, so much so, that I am pacing myself with each episode, because I don't want them to end! If you have any other podcast recommendations, I would love to know.
 

This has to be my favourite podcast series of all three. I first chanced upon it shortly after coming home from time abroad which, as keen travelers will know, is never easy. Reverse homesickness is a real thing! Roam and GoLightly appealed as it has a keen interest in travel, so I could happily sit and daydream about my next adventure...but it also places huge emphasis on sharing the adventures of the everyday. This description on the blog particularly stood out:

"I set out to find that creative, adventurous lifestyle that I experienced with a passport in hand, except this time it would have to happen in the "real world." With real responsibilities, with real struggles, with a realistic approach to living the lifestyle I craved"

I realised while listening to a number of podcasts that living an adventurous lifestyle is possible without necessarily having to board a plane, and this can be made possible by making time for creative pursuits. Roam and GoLightly interviews a number of talented craftsmen, writers, thinkers and dreamers. I have yet to finish a podcast and not come away feeling inspired. Some of my favourite episodes so far are: Minisode: ROME! | "A Little Bit of Everything" with Bianca Cash | "Grand Possibilities" with Ziza Bauer of Darling Magazine
*Just as a side note, the Roam and GoLightly blog is equally fabulous and worth checking out!



I've been a long time, let's say, casual reader of the blog The Jealous Curator, so it took me by surprise to only just recently discover that Danielle Krysa also has a podcast series called 'Art for your Ear'. As if her site isn't amazing enough as it is, her podcasts give an inside look into the lives of some incredible artists. On the inspiration behind creating a podcast series, Krysa writes:

"When I studied art history in university, my favorite part was, well, basically the gossip. I loved hearing why artists did certain things. What was going on in their personal life, stories about other artists they knew and worked with. ART FOR YOUR EAR is exactly that… inside-scoop stories from amazingly talented contemporary artists."

I've always been a bit of an art lover and regret not taking more courses in history of art in University. However, with these podcasts, it's truly wonderful to know that I can deepen my knowledge and awareness of celebrated and upcoming contemporary artists despite not necessarily studying art extensively. These podcasts make for the perfect way to kick start a creative weekend or wind down in the afternoon with a cup of tea. Who knows, it may even prompt you to take out your paints and paintbrushes!
Favourite podcast so far: REBECCA LOUISE LAW: Painting with Flowers (aka my favourite installation artist!)


Finally, this is a podcast I only just recently got into, but am certain that it will become a firm favourite. I'm a big foodie, but have lately felt lacking in inspiration in regards to what to cook. After listening to just one episode, I felt like I was getting my mojo back and was motivated to get back into the kitchen! The Olive Magazine podcast is hosted by the editor of the magazine and shares 'exclusive additional content, behind the scenes gossip, expert advice and fun'. The topics usually centre around a specific ingredient or food and there is often a guest speaker, but the podcasts also discuss everything from upcoming events in London to traditional cooking methods and customs of different cuisines. It is an absolutely delightful podcast series. 

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.