Sunday, November 13, 2016

Granola Tartlets

 
One area I have always struggled with is breakfast. I love the stuff, but when it comes to cooking it every day, I sometimes fall short of inspiration, especially of the time efficient kind. I'm also quite fussy and get bored of things easily, so each day I essentially need to have something different for breakfast. I'm difficult, I know.

While I have indulged in cake for breakfast in the past, it's obviously not the healthiest of habits, despite being convenient if there are leftovers in the fridge. But a recipe I found for Granola Tarts promised to solve all my problems. Tasty? (tick). Time saving? (tick). Adaptable? (tick). Tastes like biscuits but is relatively healthy for you? (double tick).

I think these tarts will become a staple breakfast and snack for me from now on. They're wonderfully reminiscent of ANZAC biscuits (one of my favourite kinds), and you can switch up the fillings and topping however you want. I think these would work well with coconut yoghurt, banana 'nice' cream, lemon curd, chocolate spread...whatever you're feeling, it's sure to satisfy!

Tart recipe via: Pheebs Foods
Strawberry Chia Jam recipe via: 26 Grains

Granola Breakfast Tarts – makes 4 -5 small tarts

  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
Filling
  • 1 cup natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt ( may need more or less depending on the size of your tarts)
  • 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional, I didn’t add any sweetener)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Chia Jam

  • 250g strawberries
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • Squeeze of juice from a small lemon segment
  1. Pre-heat oven 10 180
  2. Combine oats, coconut, chia seeds and cinnamon in a large bowl, set aside
  3. Melt coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan over a low heat
  4. Pour melted oil & honey over dry mixture and stir to coat well
  5. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into greased tart tins, using the spoon to press in as much as possible
  6. Bake for around 15 minutes, checking to ensure they don’t brown too quickly
  7. In the meantime, make the jam by blitzing the strawberries in a food processor for a few seconds until you have a puree. Tip into a bowl and add remaining ingredients with 1 tbsp of water. Stir well, then leave for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to expand and thicken the jam. Keep in a sterilized jar with tight fitting lids and store in fridge for up to 7 days.
  8. Remove tart shells from the oven and working quickly press into the tin using the back of a spoon a second time
  9. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tins
  10. Add a teaspon of chia jam into each tart followed by spoonfuls of the yoghurt mixture and top with desired fruits (and flowers if you so desire).

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.