Sunday, September 25, 2016

Artistic Afternoons | Dutch Flowers

When I visited the National Gallery in London, there was one exhibit that particularly stood out, and that was 'Dutch Flowers'. It was displayed in a tiny room, but it was bursting with life and colour. The paintings were some of the most vivid and realistic, but also somewhat surreal, that I have ever seen. It certainly had a lasting impression as last week, I had the compelling desire to take out some paints and attempt a still life of the bunch of flowers I received for my graduation ceremony.

It had been forever since I last picked up a paintbrush, so my efforts were far from perfect and quite infantile in comparison to the real deal! But I have been slowly realising that I'm not so bothered with how the end product looks anymore or how perfect a depiction it is of the object. I find so much enjoyment in just letting my creativity and my mind run free. There's something so distinctly liberating about it.

Do you paint? Which artists or styles inspire you?

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.