Tuesday, April 21, 2015

DIY: Wooden Bead Necklaces


This week's post is a little different to what I usually do. I mentioned in my first post on Windswept Wishes that I have never been particularly interested in fashion. I went through a 'vintage' phase, but have never really had a distinct style. As I get older, I feel my tastes are erring towards 'plain and simple'. It may seem dull, but these days I just like wearing a plain t-shirt, jeans and an accessory like a scarf or a necklace. 

Having said that, I've never been much into jewelry either. It's only been recently that I've been sporting my version of a statement necklace on a casual, day to day basis. I had seen a few wooden bead necklaces floating around the web- in shops, on instagram, on tumblr. Despite wearing more muted clothing, the bright and colourful wooden necklaces really caught my eye and they seemed like a fun way to spruce up an otherwise ordinary outfit.

As I like to dabble in creative projects from time to time, I thought I'd give crafting my own necklaces a go, and I am so pleased with how they turned out! At one point I was making a new necklace every week. Not only are they fairly inexpensive to make, I find the process of painting the beads and getting imaginative with the colour scheme to be really therapeutic. 

DIY Wooden Bead Necklaces
You will need:
Medium round wooden beads
Small round wooden beads
An assortment of acrylic paints
Normal string
Necklace string (found in any craft shop)
Shoe box (or whatever you prefer)
Hair dryer

*Tip: When buying the beads, try to find some that aren't varnished, it will make painting them easier. I was unable to find any they weren't varnished, but this just meant that I had to apply more coats of paint.

1. Start by finding an old shoe box and measure a piece of string along the length of the shoe box. Cut the string so it's the same length as the box. 
2. Thread 5 medium beads and 2 small beads onto the string, then tape both ends of the string to the sides of the shoe box. This will make painting the beads much easier and the bottom of the shoe box will catch any dripping paint
3. Apply all the beads with about 2 coats of white paint, drying with a hair dryer in between each application.
4. To your preference, paint the beads in different colours. I like to have one 'odd' and patterned bead (usually with dots) that is different to the rest. Make sure to coat each bead at least 2-3 times, drying in between each application.
5. Once completely dry, remove beads from string. 
6. Take your necklace string and form a loose hanger around your neck. Make sure to leave enough length for tying, as you want your necklace to fit over your head comfortably.
7. Cut the string to your desired length and thread on the beads, alternating the colours. 
8. Hang around your neck and tie a knot with the two ends of string. 
9. Where your necklace with pride!
Carly said...

Cute cute cute! This is my kind of jewelry; simple, easy to wear, not too clunky or annoying. I never thought about painting my own beads, that's quite clever! I think I'll have to give it a go someday!

Carina Maree said...

Ooh definitely let me know how they turn out. I would love to see!


Thank you for stopping by :)


xx Carina

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.