Friday, March 6, 2015

Recipe: Quick and Easy Chocolate Cheesecake in a Mug

cake in a mug, quick and easy baking, chocolate cheesecake

I'll be the first to admit that I probably have an unhealthy addiction to cheesecake, and I attribute this to a) my love of cheese and b) my love of cake. The two paired together, therefore, is the cherry on top. I always associate cheesecake with the summertime, as it is such a comforting dessert that can be taken out of the fridge and consumed on a hot day. However, it's not often that I have a spare cheesecake on hand to cure my cravings, nor the necessary ingredients to quickly whip one up. Thankfully, I discovered the perfect recipe for a mug cheesecake from a cookbook I bought in Paris. It's quick and easy to make, although it does require an hour to refrigerate, but the end result is so worth it! I decided to tamper with the recipe and experiment with melted chocolate, which turned out amazingly and I imagine would go so well with fresh cherries. Some other combinations I would like to try include white chocolate, salted caramel and berry. Below I listed the recipe for the cheesecake pictured above, but you can omit the chocolate and replace it with anything that takes your fancy. For a good 'ol lemon cheesecake, 2 tsps of lemon juice will suffice.

If you give this recipe a go, I would love to see the results. Who knew that 'miniature' baking could be so much fun! And an added bonus is there are less dishes involved at the end. It's a win win situation.

Chocolate Cheesecake in a Mug
Serves 1. Recipe adapted from Mug Cakes by Joséphine and Valérie Piot

Preparation: 5 min
Cooking time: 1 min & 10 s
Fridge: 1 h

You will need:
4 squares of dark chocolate, melted
1 egg white
3 tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp Crème fraîche (I used Marscapone)
1 granita biscuit (or equivalent 1 spéculoos/graham cracker)
2 tbsp caster sugar

1. Break an egg and separate the white from the yolk, placing the white into a mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese and mix with a beater until combined.
2. Add the crème fraîche (or marscapone), the sugar and the melted chocolate one by one, beating the mixture between each ingredient. 
3. Scoop the cheesecake mixture into a mug of your choice and place in the microwave for 1 minute and 10 seconds on high. The cheesecake should 'wobble' once it has been cooked-and don't fret about the unsightly looking bubbles either, like I initially did.
4. Put the mug into the fridge and leave to set for 1 hour
5. Take the cheesecake mug out of the fridge once it has set and cooled completely. Add some cream, crush a biscuit and sprinkle it on top. Et voilà! The cheesecake is ready to be devoured.

Latest Instagrams

© Windswept Wishes. Design by Fearne.