Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A trip to Mrs S. & Sherbet Cafe Bake Shop

Mrs S. Cafe

Mrs. S on Urbanspoon
I've been in a bit of a blogging slump lately. Maybe it's because I have been busy working over these holidays that I have been so lacking in inspiration. However, today I was able to enjoy a bit of a reprieve from my usual day to day schedule, and decided to take the opportunity to journey to Maylands for brunch. The particular landmark that inspired such a pilgrimage, Mrs S., is a cafe I have heard quite a lot about; one with a popular reputation which is consistently met with praise, whether it be on Urbanspoon reviews or in media publications, such as Home Beautiful most recently. Stepping into the cafe, I could immediately understand the allure of the establishment before even trying the food. It has a very artistic, even rustic, aesthetic about it (see: the wall plants, a few printed fabric pieces and a communal table). I always look for little added touches too when I try out  new places, and Mrs S. excels in their efforts and creativity. The menus, for example, are enclosed within old Little Golden Books, bunting adorns the windows and the drinks menu on the blackboard is made even more inviting, thanks to the gorgeous Peter Rabbit-esque illustrations.

The cake counter alone is enough to get your mouth watering, but the breakfast/lunch menu also has a lot of interesting dishes to try. I decided to go with a hot chocolate and Granny June's cornbread with bacon, poached eggs, rocket and a side of maple syrup. The hot chocolate, first off, came with a separate jug of chocolate syrup to add to the drink, which I thought was very incentive. If I ever have hot chocolates at cafes, I usually find them boarding a bit too chocolately, so being able to control the amount of chocolate was ideal. The drink itself was luke warm, and it cooled down quite quickly being in a mug, but these are only minor complaints. The hot chocolate overall was a nice pick me up before I began my meal.
The Granny June dish was sensational! I have never tried cornbread before, so it was like a revelation chowing down on the golden, slightly sweet and crumbly slices. Along with the two poached eggs cooked to ooey gooey perfection, bacon and rocket, it was a match made in heaven. Admittedly, I was hesitant to pour all the maple syrup on, and I am glad I didn't. I cant say whether I am a total convert to the marriage of maple and bacon, but just a dash of it was lovely and subtle and not overpowering.
Sherbet Cafe Bake Shop
Sherbet Cafe & Bake Shop on Urbanspoon
After a very satisfying breakfast, my company and I made the potentially fatal decision to head around the corner to the Sherbet Cafe Bake Shop for some extra indulgence. This is another place I have wanted to visit for a while, and seeing as I didn't know when I would be back, I thought it would be better not to waste an opportunity. The Sherbet Cafe Bakery is reminiscent of New York cupcake bakeries, and it is like none other bakery I have visited in Perth. Once again, its the little details that make this place; the crockery, furnishing, music and display objects (old fashioned mixers, scales etc) complete the nostalgic atmosphere.

The main attraction, of course, are the cakes, and oh, what scrumptious beauties they are! Among so many options, I decided to try a salted caramel slice, which was, quite simply, orgasmic, thanks to the buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread and creamy salted caramel. I also got to try a forkful of the door stopper crunchie chocolate cake that my sister had, the decadent raspberry and chocolate cake my brother had and flaky frangipane tart my brother's girlfriend had. It's safe to say, after that feast with our bellies full, that we walked out very happy customers.

All in all, my trip to Maylands was very refreshing and rejuvenating. I am always amazed by how much good trips to cafes can do. While this strikes me as sounding self indulgent, it's not solely the food I enjoy, it's the bringing together of good company that I love most about the cafe culture and of trying new things in new places.

20 comments:

  1. Oh wow, both these places look amazing! You've got to love a place that has Beatrix Potter inspired art on the menu board, for sure. I do love maple syrup and bacon, but usually with pancakes. I don't know how I'd feel about it with an egg in the mix as well, but I suppose it would probably be nice. It really is just a sweetener after all. Luckily I baked a cake this afternoon or else this post would have totally set me off on a sweet craving, haha.

    (And I also feel the same when I get busy, no inspiration and it makes me even more stressed. I hope things calm down a bit for you soon!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fall for any place that adds cute touches like Beatrix Potter art, basically!

      I should definitely try a dash of maple syrup with pancakes and bacon then. It was a bit odd with the egg-I was reaching for the salt in the end.

      Thank you Emily :)

      Delete
  2. What gorgeously cute places! The menu at Mrs. S. looks neat. And it's ALWAYS a good idea to go to a second place after eating with friends hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though we were already quite full, I agree. I a never inclined to waste a chance at exploring

      Delete
  3. Hey :) I really loved your blog! I think you have really good content, so I nominated you for the Liebster award :)

    The details are on my blog:
    daniellebevan.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the animals decorating their menu and those raspberry chocolate treats look amazing. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. If only I lived closed, I would be a very regular visitor of this charming cafe

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! Everything looks so delectable! I love the illustrations on the chalk board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the chalk board is such a nice touch :)

      Delete
  6. Aw it looks delicious and so cute!
    xxx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see another post from you!

    Both of these places look incredible. I love the golden book menus. I was trying to figure out what they were doing there. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I only wish I could have read the books, but they were whisked away after placing our order, understandably haha

      Delete
  8. OH MY! That place looks so adorable! If I ever go to Maylands I will have to go there for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! If you ever come to Perth, I would jump at the chance to show you around all my favourite spots, including Maylands

      Delete
  9. This looks like such a cute little cafe and those cakes look so yummy :) xx

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog and would love for you to enter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look perfect x Yazmine
    www.whateveryazmine.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I love your blog and your posts are so so good!
    I'm a new blogger and would love it if you could check out my blog and maybe even give it a follow? :) http://theperksofmeg.blogspot.co.uk/ x

    ReplyDelete