Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bakery Delight

Margaret River Bakery on Urbanspoon
This past week I spent away from home, exploring the much loved South West region in Western Australia with family. The beaches there are incomparable to anywhere else, the inland forests and farmland a sight to behold. The region is also home to many talented Australian artists; we visited the workshop of a new found favourite of mine, Patricia Negus, who paints the most wonderful watercolour depictions of West Australia’s native fauna and flora.

Aside from this visual feast, every trip down south inevitably transforms into a culinary tour. Places such as Margaret River offer an expanse of wineries and specialty food shops that our itinerary quickly becomes filled with food tastings and lots of coffee slurping. I wanted to share a particular spot that stood out, being the Margaret River Bakery Café, which is located in the central township.

I first heard about this place through a friend who recommended The Bakery Blog, which has become a new favourite site of mine, even more so after learning that it is run by three women who work at the Margaret Rive Bakery Café. It was like fate discovering this blog only a week before I was set to go away; I made sure to let my family know well in advance that I intended to make a visit.

The Bakery Café truly is a hidden gem. The outside looks quite ordinary, and definitely doesn't give anything away about the beauty within. The inside is an eclectic mix of colourful visuals, such as the beaded curtains that hang from the door, or the wall decorated in plates. The outside veranda has old fashioned, mismatched furniture sitting tight and cosy in the small space. But it is the baked offerings that are the ultimate attraction. Everything from salted caramel donuts, éclairs, muffins, chocolate cake and a wide range of pastries adorn the counter, all at crazy cheap prices. For me, this was like stumbling into wonderland.

I actually took two trips here. The first time around, I had a wonderfully aromatic and creamy chai latte with a delicious breakfast consisting of avocado, feta and marinated cherry tomatoes on toast. I also scored a taste of my sister’s chocolate doughnut that oozed with a mousse-y centre. On the second visit, I opted to try the salted caramel doughnut. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am currently obsessed with salted caramel sweet treats, and the doughnut didn't fail to please. I couldn't resist snapping a picture of my tea as well; how cute is the china?!

It’s places like these that I remember most fondly about trips away. Good food and good company is essentially everything I want out of life, and the atmosphere and offerings of the Margaret River bakery celebrates just that.                                       

16 comments:

  1. How chambering is this little hidden gem! I adore what they've done to decorate the walls with antique plates, the big comfy looking chairs and even how they served your order on beautiful crockery! I'm in love! I would call myself a savoury rather than sweet, kind of girl so my mouth watered at the sight of your breakfast! But I know my sister would be obsessed with those pastries!
    South West-WA sounds like a beautiful sight to behold and I would love to visit in the New Year!

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    XO's Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the wall too! My mum was very inspired by it, and wants to try and replicate it in our garden.

      I am definitely more of a sweet tooth hehe. But I know I shouldn't eat cakes all the time (unfortunately). My breakfast was completely delicious though, and ideal because I usually cannot stomach eggs in the morning. You should definitely take a visit to the South West someday :)

      Thank you so much for your wishes, I hope you have a very merry Christmas and New Year too!

      Delete
  2. Wow that teapot is heavenly! I adore cafes that serve chai lattes in a teapot AND ones with darling sets of cutlery x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? I would love a set for myself! And beautiful cutlery and china is always a major draw card for me

      Delete
  3. That bakery looks like a little dainty paradise! It really is a visual sight and so quaint too! Independent bakerys are just too adorable to resist. ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A paradise is a good description! I adore independent cafes/bakeries

      Delete
  4. I love your blog.
    Reading your blog is like cuddling up in a beautiful, familiar blanket and reading your favourite book. It's so comfortable and beautiful. I love it :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the sweetest comments i have read, thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely place to visit! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a cozy place!! wishing you a merry xmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like such a darling place! xx
    would love to visit :)


    ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ Creme de la Chic ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a cute little place, i love the decor and the food looks delicious too!

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous spot to eat at, I love the eclectic design :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This place looks so gorgeous...there's nothing better than cosy, quaint little cafes! x

    ReplyDelete